Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mock Roman Shade

I've had an embroidered shower curtain I have loved, for over 5 years now. And I keep thinking I'm going to make something. It has all of the colors I am using in my Master bathroom so I've been looking at it and trying to figure out what I want to do with it.

I finally decided to make a mock Roman shade and re-cover the vanity chair to match. Using a fabric shower curtain in the bathroom is especially nice because if there is over-splash from the shower onto the Roman, it will dry quickly and not streak.

The mock Roman uses the same process as a regular Roman except it doesn't need to be strung and you don't need to mess with all of those cords and safety anchors. Since I like to see the sun through the textured glass, it will act more like a valance than a Roman shade. The formula for width measure is: Width of fabric = 1/2" less than actual inside window measurement. Wood header = 1" less than actual inside window measurement (or...1/2" less than fabric measurement).

Squaring the Fabric
It's very important to square your fabric all along. If the fabric is not square, it will not fit into the window properly. I start by pulling a thread across the bottom of the fabric and create a good cutting line for myself. Cut away the selvedges, making sure they are square to the bottom cut line.

Now you'll  want to measure the width and length of your shade. I always add 6" to my width (1-1/2" double hem [3"] on each side) and 3" to the bottom (1-1/2" double bottom hem). Since I am going to create 4 folds at the bottom, I added 16" extra inches to the length (4 folds at 2" doubled = 16"). In addition, this particular Roman has to be a little wider at the bottom in order for it to hang square in the window, so I made the bottom 2" wider than the top.

I purchased a light weight lining (a little heavier than batiste) so that the Roman would have soft folds at the bottom. Before stitching up the bottom and side hems, lay in the lining and cut it away at the crease for the hems. If you want to add a trim to the bottom, like I did, do that now. Go ahead and hem the bottom, then the sides. I did mine by hand, but you can use a blind hemmer.

Tacking the Folds
Press everything and line it up on your cutting table to be sure it is square. As you will see, the bottom is 2" wider so you'll have to take that into consideration when squaring. Hand stitch the lining to the face fabric across the top of the Roman.

From the bottom, mark a skirt (1-1/2 to 2"), then 4 spaces of 4" each for your folds. Pull up the folds and anchor them with strong thread (I use hand-quilting thread because it's strong but light weight). Tack close to the sides and go through all layers of the Roman. Leave your tails long and slip in an acrylic (or wood) dowel covered in fabric. Stitch it to the 4 folds. (Your dowel should be the same width as your finished fabric at the top (remember? 1/2" less than your window measurement, see paragraph 3).

Repeat the same procedure on the other side and anchor your bottom rod on that side as well. Softly fold along the entire width and finger roll your pleats to give them a natural look.

With push pins, hang your Roman into the window and be sure it is hanging square. Move the sides or middle to help square it before putting it onto the board. Once you know it's going to look good, use a disappearing marking pen across the top of the Roman where it meets the window frame.

Now you're ready to mount your board to it. Your board should be narrow enough to fit between the window jam and the sashing.  A 1 to 1-1/2" return is usually adequate (mine is 1-1/2"). Cut your board and cover it with lining fabric if you desire. I painted my board white so didn't need to cover it.You will mount your board (inside) to the line you made while it was hanging from the push pins. I use a heavy duty workroom stapler. No need to finish edges as everything will be hidden inside the window frame. Now simply drill  3 holes and send screws up into the head board! Easy Peasy!

A lovely place to sit your hiney!
I went ahead and recovered the vanity chair also, but this time I decided to add a single button to the middle. I didn't have the strength to pull down as tightly as I would have liked (due to the stroke) but I think it looks better than it did. And, the nice thing is that it matches the Roman!

If you try one of these Romans, be sure and send me a photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment